[c-nsp] NTP synchronization problems C2801

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Jun 29 18:48:28 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 18:37 -0400, Matthew Huff wrote:
> You need 3, preferably 4  NTP sources so that clients will work
> correctly. If you have 2, how does it know which one is a better
> source of time? 3 gives you a quorum, but if 1 fails, then you are
> back to 2. Four is the magic number.
>
> Since you have 2 setup as strata 1, setup two boxes that use ntp
> sources on the internet as stratum 2 devices. Then set your cisco
> boxes to the 4 clients. That should make them more stable.

Though I tend to agree with the gist of that, I think the arguments are
irrelevant to my problem. The two sources are reachable (377 all the
time) and they agree to within acceptable error. Thus I don't need a
quorum. (I don't care about the failure scenario here.)

If both devices were the same I would just shrug and think the C2801
wasn't up to the job. But I have one device with no problems and another
acting up. Why is that? :-)

--
Peter