[c-nsp] LTL?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Jun 30 17:59:40 EDT 2010

Hi Ray,

You're right, LTLs are also known as "port selects", it's basically a
table in various ASICs that identify which ports should receive a
frame. For a unicast frame, the LTL would select a single port; for
multicast, could be many or all. What the destination LTL of a packet
is inside the box is typically dictated by the forwarding engine lookup.

It's a bit more complex than that when you dig into it, but that's it
in a nutshell.

Note that every physical port in the system has an LTL (destination
index) set aside for it so you can't really "run out" in that case.
But in other cases LTLs are a dynamic, limited resource, eg for
multicast, there's a fixed number available, each describing a
particular "fanout" or "receiver set", so if there are many unique
receiver sets then each will burn an LTL from that pool.

Some platforms can share those LTLs so if two mcast groups share the
same fanout they can share an LTL. Others don't have that capability.

The specific capacities & capabilities etc are very hardware
dependent. The primary shipping platforms that use LTL today that I
know of are 6500/7600, and Nexus 7000.

What leads you to think you have run into an overflow condition, some
error msg I take it?

Hope that helps,
Tim

At 01:13 PM 6/30/2010, Ray Van Dolson contended:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759