[c-nsp] diversification

My Name denaccie at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 13:14:48 EST 2010

What are everyone's thoughts on redundant route processors and linecard
diversity for P and PE connections.
Specifically, assume redundant P and PE devices,

1) do you deploy redundant route processors per node?
2) do you use one linecard for all P connections (assume medium sized WAN)
    or do you install multiple linecards and diversify P connections? How
many?
3) Same as 2) but for PE connectivity?
4) Does BFD failover for all potential failure scenarios eliminating need
for diverse linecards
    for port assignment?

I assume the Core should be highly available and you should diversify as
much as possible,
within reason of course. If I had 4 connections for P to P connectivity I
would use at least two
linecards regardless if I had a redundant router or not.Thoughts?

joe