[c-nsp] Input queue flushes and drops

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Tue Mar 2 14:47:43 EST 2010

On 2/28/10 1:36 AM, Dale Shaw wrote:
> Hi Rodney,
>
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Rodney Dunn<rodunn at cisco.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Should we increase the input queue size to 150,200,250, etc ? Could these
>>> flushed/drops be the cause of the poor VoIP performance?
>>
>> Yeah..set it to the max of 4096.
>
> This is a platform-specific recommendation or a "just do it
> everywhere" type thing?

Different people have different opinions. In my network I'd do it
everywhere because if I'm having input queue drops I've got a bigger
problem (lack of CoPP to protect the control plane traffic, etc..).

> Could you elaborate a bit? Always good to squeeze out a bit more
> performance or reliability.
>
> Are there any trade-offs? Just on input or output as well?

It's an input only function.

We did it orginally as a way to try and be more intelligent about when
you have input queue congestion prioritize control plane traffic over
other non critical data. That was before we had COPP to limit the non
critical data centrally.

Go with COPP and disable SPD is my 2c.

Rodney