[c-nsp] BGP and OSPF issues

Christopher J. Wargaski wargo1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 13:10:27 EST 2010

Thank you for the replies--

   It is not my choice to be running both routing protocols and
redistributing them into each other. My eventual goal is to get rid of
OSPF. I must admit that I am new more familiar with EIGRP and OSPF,
not so much with BGP. However, it comes with the MPLS territory.

   The Chicago WAN router only has one BGP neighbor because it is not
yet directly connected to the MPLS cloud. There is an intermediary
router performing that function. (That is why the Chicago WAN router
has a BGP neighbor on the LAN, not the WAN.)

   I understand what William and Gert are saying regarding the backup
link & static routes and the administrative distance. Since the
firewall is my default route out, I not need to have it redistribute
the static routes into OSPF for the Chicago WAN router. However, I
still need the firewall to advertise the routes for my internal
networks to the third party off of the firewall DMZ.

   Thanks.

cjw