[c-nsp] Odd behavior: OSPF on a physical port of an SVI

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Sun Mar 7 13:58:51 EST 2010

Hi,

> I've run into weird problems like this when module heatsinks failed.
> Traffic would pass so long as the overheating hardware didn't mess it
> up.  In my case, BGP would establish, but die out after TCP handshake.
> I was able to ping with sufficiently small packets, but above a
> certain size traffic would drop.
>
> This was on a 6816-GBIC and the heatsink failure only affected one of
> the FEs.  If I moved to a port on the other FE, things would work
> normally.

just to weigh in with this one...we had a very similar recent issue.
one of the surface-mount-attached clips that hold the heat sinks into
place on a 6748 failed...thus the heatsink slipped out of place and
thermal contact etc was lost...the symptom that the resulted in?

the blade could spew out packets on the ports controlled via that ASIC
but within 5 minutes of powering the module on, all inbound traffic was
dead.

quirky....but thats the way these things go.

alan