[c-nsp] loose connectivity to gateway

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 21:48:45 EST 2010

Bill,

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM, Bill Buhlman <billbuhlman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Working on a small LAN with a 2651 router as its gateway. Periodically workstations will loose connectivity to the gateway at fa0/0. All workstations are WinXP. Repairing the network connection reinstates the connectivity. Would the group please give suggestions on the cause? I don't see anything in the Cisco log. Maybe the LAN switch? Its not manage-able so I cant check it.

If the connectivity is loose, the first thing you should do is tighten it.

When the problem pops up, can you ping the router's IP address? Is
there an ARP entry on the workstations for the default gateway? ("arp
-a"). How are the workstations getting IP addresses? Statically or via
DHCP?

When you "repair" the connection, does it fix the problem for just
that workstation, or all of them? How often does it happen? Is there a
pattern?

What sort of switch is it providing connectivity between workstations
and the router? I also suspect the switch. It would be interesting to
know if shut/no shut'ing Fa0/0 had any effect from the workstation
perspective.

Cheers,
Dale