[c-nsp] ntp scaling

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Mon Mar 8 09:47:48 EST 2010

Geert Nijs <geert.nijs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea how many devices/clients can synchronise time to a
> SUP720 C6500 module ?
>
> How does it scale ? If i point 10, 100 , 1000, ... clients to a loopback
> address on the supervisor ?

We are a medium sized university and are definately in the 10->100 range
and see no problems.  All our edge stacks (25 of time) plus in theory
all the servers talk to our 6500's to sync and on there we see:
----
6509-1#show processes cpu | include NTP
 556      291788   5634668         51  0.00%  0.00%  0.00%   0 NTP
----

I do cheat though and we anycast the NTP address (place the same address
on our two core boxes) so the clients speak to the nearest server.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: An evil mind is a great comfort.