[c-nsp] IPSec crypto map on MPLS enabled interface?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Mar 8 10:27:23 EST 2010

I'm too stupid to make this work. :-)

What I'm trying is:

- NPE-G1 running 12.4(25c) Ent. IPSec 3DES (c7200-jk9s-mz.124-25c.bin)
- Configured as "standard" MPLS PE in our network
- Loopback-interface to terminate GRE tunnel on "outside" VRF
- Tunnel-interface in "inside" VRF
- No other interfaces apart from the global MPLS enabled
- (Using a SA-VAM2, but I assume this is irrelevant)
- Has to use crypto map + GRE tunnel because of other end

The GRE part works fine, but I can't make it encrypt the traffic. Debug
crypto gives no output at all. When trying to send traffic through the
tunnel interface it ends up sending GRE traffic, i.e. not encrypting it.

I tried adding the crypto map both to the loopback interface in the
outside VRF and to the MPLS enabled interfaces (in global).

What am I doing wrong? Is it because MPLS and IPSec just doesn't mix?

The hopefully relevant part of the configuration is:

ip vrf OUTSIDE-VRF
 description Outside VRF
 rd 10.0.0.1:3123
 route-target export 65432:3123
 route-target import 65432:3123
!
ip vrf INSIDE-VRF
 description Inside VRF
 rd 10.0.0.1:3320
 route-target export 65432:3320
 route-target import 65432:3320
!
ip access-list extended Crypto-map-ACL-TEST
 permit gre host 10.10.10.1 host 172.16.0.1
!
crypto keyring Crypto-Keyring-TEST vrf OUTSIDE-VRF
 pre-shared-key address 172.16.0.1 key jkB8UThDDQjHSMJdFfPM
!
crypto isakmp policy 10
 encr aes 256
 hash md5
 authentication pre-share
 lifetime 43200
!
crypto isakmp profile Crypto-Profile-TEST
 vrf INSIDE-VRF
 keyring Crypto-Keyring-TEST
 match identity address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.255 OUTSIDE-VRF
 initiate mode aggressive
!
crypto ipsec transform-set AES256-MD5 esp-aes 256 esp-md5-hmac
!
crypto map Crypto-Map-TEST local-address Loopback3123
crypto map Crypto-Map-TEST 10 ipsec-isakmp
 set peer 172.16.0.1
 set transform-set AES256-MD5
 set isakmp-profile Crypto-Profile-TEST
 match address Crypto-map-ACL-TEST