[c-nsp] /31 on a PTP Ethernet interface

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Mar 8 13:36:42 EST 2010

> You needn't /30 anymore, rfc3021 is well suported for a while ;)

Yes, RFC 3021 is well supported on *actual* point to point links (e.g.
SDH/SONET). Ethernet is *not* such a type of link.

There are lots of people who use /31 on Ethernet links without any
apparent problems. However ...

Some of us have tried (hard) to get Cisco and Juniper to come forward
with an official statement about whether /31 is supported or not on
Ethernet links. We have been entirely unsuccessful - the answer we
receive is always of the type "try it, it may work for you". That is
not "well supported" by my definition of the word.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no