[c-nsp] IPSec crypto map on MPLS enabled interface?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Mar 8 16:53:06 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 10:34 -0800, Leah Lynch (Contractor) wrote:
> Wow! That's a lot of encapsulation for each packet (Eth, GRE, MPLS,
> IPSec)!

It's a brave new world. :-) Having the configuration on a standard PE in
our core greatly simplifies the routing and configuration. And the
GRE-in-IPSec is mandatory for this solution, which is a connection to an
extranet of a kind.

> I would suggest peeling back the layers to find where the
> problem originates. Id pull each upper-layer encapsulation off entirely
> and make sure the MPLS with GRE is working first. Then, if that works,
> put the IPSec back on, and at least then you know where to focus. I am
> not sure this configuration would work, depending on when the frames are
> encapsulated, they may not be matching your access list, due they fact
> that they are no longer IP/GRE frames anymore, but MPLS/IP/GRE.

That was also my suspicion, but I got it to work. As John pointed out
the "vrf X" statement in the ISAKMP profile appears to refer to the
front VRF, not the inside VRF. This was contrary to what I understood
from the documentation.

--
Peter