[c-nsp] Spanning-Tree vs. EoMPLS links in SXI2?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Mar 9 15:26:38 EST 2010

Hi,

(is it OK if I CC my reply back to c-nsp?)

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 06:43:57PM +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 15:44 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> > maybe a stupid question: are there any issues known with Rapid-PVSTP,
> > EoMPLS links, and IOS SXI2?
>
> Probably not much help, but we've been using this (RSTP on trunks
> through port-mode EoMPLS) extensively on SXI1 for almost two years with
> no problems.

I have another box with SXI(1), which is not exhibiting this problem,
so I'd second that "SXI is working".

On SXI2, in my current setup, the effect is very reproduceable - I have
setup a test trunk with only a single VLAN on it (but still port-mode
EoMPLS), and just by comparing the interface counters on R1 ("this many
STP packets sent") and the VC counters on R3 ("that many packets received
from the VC") it's very obvious that R2 is not forwarding the STP
packets.

On cisco.com, I found configuration options for 12.0S on GSRs to
enable/disable forwarding of VTP, STP, CDP individually
("l2protocol stp ..."), but that's not available on SXI2.

Might be a box having a bad day, or a general bug on SXI2 - can't say
yet, need to do more labbing.

> We haven't tried SXI2. (Is there an SXI3a? I can only find SXI3.)

There's SXI2a and SXI3.  I have not yet checked the release notes yet
whether anything related to EoMPLS is listed.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de