[c-nsp] Thread out the mailling list about Procera PacketLogic product (good and bad experiences, as well comments)

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Mar 13 12:07:06 EST 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 11:25:24 pm luismi wrote:

> We are evaluating the idea to the deploy here a Procera
>  device. I would like to hear, share and discuss about
>  Procera products. I would like to talk also about
>  Packeteer > Procera migration, common features,
>  advantages or disadvantages...
> So is there is anyone here working with it, I would like
>  to share few comments.

They came to run a demo of one of their boxes in our
network. All it proved was that there was nothing in there
for us we couldn't do with our routers twice as well with no
extra license fees.

On the other hand, over the years, I've tended to shy away
from dedicated so-called bandwidth management appliances.
It's hard enough designing them into your topology
(particularly if it's considerably redundant). Besides, for
bandwidth managers to make sense, a certain traffic flow
profile is assumed, which can seriously derail you once
customers begin to surprise you, or your business takes off.

All in all, I've slept better at night knowing the same box
handling my customer's packets is the same one doing
bandwidth management, basic or advanced. Sure, it can get
quirky, and at times quite expensive, but not anymore
awkward than having some box sit in between parts of your
network uncertain how to handle MPLS or IPv6 packets :-).

Cheers,

Mark.