[c-nsp] Dynamic TCAM allocation/optimization? (was Re: N7K tcam handling)

Rob Shakir rjs at eng.gxn.net
Sat Mar 13 15:17:42 EST 2010

On 12 Mar 2010, at 02:40, Lincoln Dale wrote:

> we have looked at this. many times.  it gets nondeterministic very very quickly and does not scale from a control plane perspective.
> http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/rrg/2008/msg01880.html covers some of the idea and pros/cons.

An alternate approach - involving virtually aggregating prefixes with the same next-hop and passing said traffic via some tunnelling mechanism is currently being progressed through the IETF IDR/GROW working groups - http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-va-01 - My understanding of this draft is that it should give some similar behaviour, however, there are still concerns around non-determinism and control-plane scaling.

It does, however, seem worth noting that this approach isn't something that's been wholly abandoned.

Kind regards,
Rob

--
Rob Shakir                      <rjs at eng.gxn.net>
Network Development Engineer    GX Networks/Vialtus Solutions

This email is subject to: http://www.vialtus.com/disclaimer.html