[c-nsp] SMTP

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Mon Mar 15 12:53:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

* Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com> [2010-03-15 12:18:01-0400]:

> Entities such as Senderbase and UCEPROTECT don't even use WHOIS
> information so that point is irrelevant.

...entities such as ISP's and mail server administrators do maintain
their own lists too so I think stating the point is irrelevant is a tad
OTT. :)

In the case of Senderbase/UCEPROTECT, I got the impression it is the
postmaster's 'crime and punishment' for using those lists in a boolean
"OK" or "REJECT" fashion; much like those fools that want to
outright trust spamcop?  That is putting aside the question of 'quality'
in regards to those lists.

> Most people now-a-days don't report SPAM to abuse@ addresses because
> they're either lazy or assume nobody is listening.

Well I personally still enjoy the warm feeling of my 10% "disconnected
for AUP violation" success rate.  I do understand where you are coming
from though on this.

I will admit, I do not wear the postmaster hat, but as a packet pusher I
do use route blackholing for the unsavoury parts of the Internet[1].
Without detailed WHOIS, abuse@ or PTR information I have no way in which
to *whitelist* blackholed regions...once whitelisted on my LAN I can
work with the blacklist maintainer to get them delisted.

Those people who choose not to have detailed PTR/WHOIS records should
not expect people like me, who silently work on your behalf, to get them
whitelisted.

> We're getting into a 'list first, don't ask questions later' scenario
> which is very frustrating for service providers.

Which then calls for an alternative strategy...

What I find frustrating is that service providers are not willing to
pro-actively monitor their network for egress 'filth'.  I personally
cannot believe that the RBN actually do have 6500+ IP ranges that they
lurk on...I pro-actively whitelist and feed that information back to the
maintainers.

What is stopping service providers having a bunch of perl scripts that
daily check when IP's they are responsible for get listed?  It should be
simply an extension of their NMS platform.  Once you have detailed
WHOIS/PTR records you at least have something to point out to the
postmasters, and the blacklist maintainers, to say "hey next time do
*your* jobs properly". :)

Hell, Turknet should be sending me some bottles of Raki for getting one
of their /16's turned into a handful of /32 listings. :)

</rant>

Cheers

[1] http://www.digriz.org.uk/route-blackholing

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Unix soit qui mal y pense