[c-nsp] IPv6

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Tue Mar 16 11:18:49 EDT 2010

Many people nowadays believe we can start wasting the IPv6 address space because they all claim it's so astronomically large that we shouldn't worry about depletion as it happened with IPv4

And I'd like to set an appointment with all of them in let's say 20/30 years from now and talk about it again.

If you could go back in time and ask the guys that planned the IPv4 why didn't they do it larger they would tell you there is no way we'll ever need more than that, right?
We're now facing the same situation, we can't even imagine what can happen in 20 years from now, as I'm already hearing about giving every milk cartoon a /64 which won't be recycled.
Think about it, how many milk cartoon we dispose daily? How many IP addresses are in a /64? Now start making the math and you'll see that the astronomic and virtually endless range starts to slowly shrink...
But hey, I'm used to be the "crazy guy" that alerts about nothing and then a few years later say "I told you..."
So who's up for it? Let's talk about it in 20 years from now?
BTW, I will be more than happy to be wrong!