[c-nsp] Cisco 6509 SUP2-2GE /w PFC2 - which code?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 17 08:57:44 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:37:44AM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 17/03/2010 07:27, Gert Doering wrote:
> > No, the Sup2 will do netflow just fine.  (Since the whole architecture
> > of the Sup2 is flow-based, this should actually be fairly easy :-))
>
> even layer2 netflow?

No.  Sorry if I was unclear here.  L3 netflow for v4 is supported, L3
netflow for v6 is not, and I think L2 netflow isn't either.

> >> Incidentally, the pfc3b still does not support netflow data export for
> >> bridged ipv6 data.  This is annoying.
> >
> > So bridged IPv4 works now?  What IOS version do you need for that?
>
> Well, it works to a point from SXF.  You get source and destination IP
> addresses, but no ASN data (even if the switch loads up the DFZ) and more
> importantly no mac addresses, which is a real limitation (i assume this is
> because of hardware limitations on 67xx cards).

Yes, mac address info is something also missing from L3 flows, and that's
a real issue at IXPs.  It's a EARL7 limitation, from what I understand - so
you get it if you use a SIP/SPA (which is not useful for an IXP operator,
and questionable for an ISP).  Supposedly EARL8 can do it as well - and
we're looking forward to see that :-)

> In SXI, the PFC collects
> ipv6 L2 flow data and you can browse through it.  But it won't export the
> data, even though SXI supports netflow v9.  Sigh.

Now that sounds like "software not there yet"...

(IPv6 netflow on SXH/I is also not perfect for L3 - it's no longer
"per-interface" but back to "global for the whole box", as IPv4 was
before SXH).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de