[c-nsp] top of rack switch recommendations

Alex Krohn alex at overdrawn.net
Wed Mar 17 15:01:05 EDT 2010

Hi Stephen,

On Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:18:37 AM, Stephen Cobb wrote:

> Hopefully all you need to know for the Ciscos that support IPv6 hw
> forwarding:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-roadmap.html#wp1060772
>
> 3560-E's forward at 128gbps and 3560/G's forward at 32gbps. 3560-E's
> also have 10gig X2 uplinks, which you'll want. Assuming you're not
> stacking anything and don't need the 3750-E version, here's what you
> want to look into:

Awesome, thanks! I was looking at WS-C3560G-48TS-S as it seems to be around $3.5k and the only difference between that and -E seems to be 10 gig support? It's a pretty big price savings (lots of switches here), so not sure if future proofing 10g support is worth the cost now.

Do you know if I need the enhanced ios, or will standard cover it? I'm not doing any routing, just want things like source guard, acl's, qos (on both ipv4 and ipv6!).

Thanks again,

Alex