[c-nsp] MTU at Gb/sec transit and higher

Lawrence E. Bakst ml at iridescent.org
Thu Mar 18 00:39:01 EDT 2010

I apologize if this is somewhat off-topic. I searched for this and found almost no information. I found this, but it's almost 10 years old and it seems like he gave up:
http://staff.psc.edu/mathis/MTU/

1. If I purchase GbE transit from a provider what size is the MTU likely to be? Is it still ~1500 bytes?

2. At any point closer to the core of the "internet" does the MTU step up from 1500 bytes to some larger value and are jumbo frames utilized? Or worse does the  MTU step down from 1500 bytes?

3. What size MTU is used at (major) peering points?

I am expecting the answers to all the above to be "it's all ~1500 bytes" but I want to confirm that.

4. Does most of the current Cisco gear used by NSPs support jumbo frame on GbE and faster interfaces?

If anyone has any insight or comments I'd be happy to get them either on or off list. If off list please use the email below.

Best,

leb
leb at iridescent.org