[c-nsp] strange ipv6 problems on 3550 SVI

Anton Kapela tkapela at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 17:12:25 EDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Stephen Cobb wrote:

> Check out the "top of rack switch recommendations" thread that started a couple days back. IPv6 has parity with v4 in 12.2(50)-ish IOS, even on the 3550's, so people are claiming. This might help.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_bulletin_c25_542214_ps6553_Products_Bulletin.html

Cisco's been known to have incorrect data in cisco.com/go/fn (which is what checked previously), but when I read the URL you provided, I get the sense that they're referring to ME3400, not cat3550....

In checking cisco.com/go/fn, I see that for me3400 12.2(50)SE does indeed provide base IPv6 features:

IPv6 Default Router Preference
IPv6 Neighbor Discovery
IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Throttling
IPv6 Routing - EIGRP Support
IPv6 Routing: OSPF for IPv6 (OSPFv3)
IPv6 Routing: RIP for IPv6 (RIPng)
IPv6 Routing: Static Routing
IPv6 Routing: Unicast Routing
IPv6 Switching: CEF/dCEF Support

However, 3550 only shows "IPv4/IPv6 Dual Stack -- IPv4 and IPv6 Dual Stack is to support coexistence of IPv4 and IPv6 networks" for any versions (44,46,etc).

It's entirely possible that /go/fn is just way way way wrong, and that (50)SE on 3550 does have fully-working v6, but all appearances and experiences so far seem to indicate it doesn't (despite my desire for it!). If someone's got *working* unicast v6 and protocols on their 3550, please send the list a heads up!

-Tk