[c-nsp] BGP Balancing

Chris Gotstein chris at uplogon.com
Sat Mar 20 13:19:29 EDT 2010

We are a small ISP that is multi-homed to 2 providers.  Each link is
45mbs and we are receiving full bgp routing tables from each provider.
I've been trying to load balance the traffic going out over these two
connections, but am looking for some advice on other tricks i can try.
Unfortunately, only one provider sends MED metrics, so i'm unable to use
the bgp med for path selection.  I'm currently using 'bgp bestpath
as-path multipath-relax' and 'maximum-paths 2'.   One link still gets
75% of the traffic, which i believe is do to the fact it has a lower ip
address than the other link.  Any suggestions on configurations i can
try to influence better path load balancing?

--
Chris Gotstein, Sr Network Engineer, UP Logon/Computer Connection UP
http://uplogon.com | +1 906 774 4847 | chris at uplogon.com