[c-nsp] Protecting a sup2/msfc2 in 2010: CoPP the "hard way"

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Sun Mar 21 15:07:06 EDT 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 1:43 AM, Anton Kapela wrote:

> iACL at borders makes plenty of sense, but what about the rest of the interfaces & platforms within it?

It also includes internal edges such as the IDC distribution gateway edge, facing southbound towards the aggregation/access networks.

If one's overall security posture is such that attackers can get into one's core infrastructure and cause problems at one's edges, one has problems mere technology cannot solve.

;>

I'm not saying that CoPP and HWRL are Bad Things - quite the contrary, they're Good Things.  But you can get 90% or more of what you get from CoPP/HWRL via iACLs in exchange for much less effort - and since you have to do ACLs at your various edges anyways in order to enforce policy for traffic headed to/from your external DNS resolvers, Web portals, et. al., why not go ahead and add the iACL stanzas to those edge ACLs?

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken