[c-nsp] ASR 1002-F BGP table size

Rick Ernst cnsp at shreddedmail.com
Mon Mar 22 13:30:03 EDT 2010

I'm having a hard (impossible) time locating performance and BGP specs for
the ASR 1002-F.  Since it has a "not really an ESP" built-in, the ESP5/10/20
specs aren't helping me a lot.  Other than it should have ~2.5Gbs forwarding
(full-duplex?), I'can't find anything definitive on it.  References keep
coming up with the ASR-1002 with the removable ESP.

I'm looking at replacing our upstream routers (7206-VXR/G1) on GigE links
with something that can better handle D/DoS attacks.  The original thought
was to use a small 6500/Sup720.  Empirical testing shows that Netflow (even
with the table size under control) really beats up on the SP CPU.  The
ASR-1002F seems like it should fit the bill, but I found something (that
I've now lost) that mentioned 500K routes.

I'm looking for a device that:
  - is a "lightbulb"; relatively inexpensive, single-upstream
  -  3 GigE ports
  - 1 Gbs full-duplex (2Gbs total) hardware forwarding
  - uRPF
  - Netflow
  - 1,000,000+ IPv4 BGP routes
  - IPv6 support

As an additional comment on the Sup720/Netflow, CPU on the SP hit ~30% with
only a couple hundred Mbs and roughly 50% TCAM utilization.

Is the ASR-1002F what I'm looking for? Can anybody direct me to 1002F (vs
modular 1002) specs?

Thanks,