[c-nsp] Sup720 CoPP, limits on CPU performance

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Mar 22 14:05:06 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We recently had an experience that has convinced us CoPP might be a good
idea. I know it's a little embarrassing that we haven't implemented CoPP
yet, but now we're motivated. :-)

We're graphing non-unicast packets in/out with Cacti and expect to work
out a baseline from those numbers.

As another viewpoint I'd like to know how I can assess what amount of
traffic I can safely send to the Sup720 CPU. Would anyone have any
numbers for that, i.e. how much broadcast I can "safely" allow in a CoPP
policy if I were to not look at that baseline at all?

(P.S: No, this network isn't Internet reachable, the experience was from
an internal loop, the cause of which is being mitigated in other ways
too.)

--
Peter