[c-nsp] Sup720 CoPP, limits on CPU performance

Chris Griffin cgriffin at ufl.edu
Tue Mar 23 07:29:21 EDT 2010

Anything matching a fixed mls rate limit will bypass copp, which can be
a useful technique to avoid having to account for glean traffic in your
copp policies.  Be cautious however, you may get this error message
(only on the console!) when enabling:

%Packets requiring ARP resolution will be subject to the output ACLs of
the input VLAN

This basically results in all the glean traffic being subject to
non-obvious ACL behavior.  This is apparently a limitation in some
versions of the PFC 3B, but has been fixed in the 3C.  Funny thing is
that in our experiments not all of our PFC3Bs do it, but based on the
fact that we could be required to replace one with a version that does
have this limitation, we elected to avoid using it.

Tnx
Chris

Chris Griffin                           cgriffin at ufl.edu
Sr. Network Engineer - CCNP             Phone: (352) 273-1051
CNS - Network Services                  Fax:   (352) 392-9440
University of Florida/FLR               Gainesville, FL 32611