[c-nsp] Sup720 CoPP, limits on CPU performance

Chris Griffin cgriffin at ufl.edu
Tue Mar 23 08:56:48 EDT 2010

Yes, much confusion, even in the same document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/guide/dos.html

"CoPP does not support ARP policies. ARP policing mechanisms provide
protection against ARP storms. "

But further on in the same document:

"Layer 2 Protocols—Traffic used for address resolution protocol (ARP).
Excessive ARP packets can potentially monopolize MSFC resources,
starving other important processes; CoPP can be used to rate limit ARP
packets to prevent this situation. Currently, ARP is the only Layer 2
protocol that can be specifically classified using the match protocol
classification criteria."

The testing I did was about a year ago, but as I recall, with our
default deny any policy, traffic to hosts with no current ARP adjacency
would fail.  As soon as the glean rate limiter was enabled, traffic
started to flow normally.  Further tested demonstrated the limitation
with ACL behavior and due our heavy use of outbound ACLs, we elected to
track each interface IP in an object group and apply heavy deny policies
to those bits while allowing glean and other unclassified traffic to hit
a rate limited permit policy.

Tnx
Chris

Chris Griffin                           cgriffin at ufl.edu
Sr. Network Engineer - CCNP             Phone: (352) 273-1051
CNS - Network Services                  Fax:   (352) 392-9440
University of Florida/FLR               Gainesville, FL 32611