[c-nsp] Sup720 CoPP, limits on CPU performance

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Mar 24 05:10:16 EDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:

> ...which brings us back to having to fill a gigantic ACL with hundreds,
> potentially thousands of router interface IPs from potentially arbitrary
> subnets.

Um, no.

It means having a rational, easily-summarizable IP addressing plan for your loopbacks and p2p interfaces, so that only a few entries are required to keep unwanted packets off them.  That's all.

> As I said, the router knows these IPs, so I don't understand why it
> can't populate an object-group (in sufficiently recent IOS) allowing
> it's use in either iACLs or CoPP.

This would be a good idea for a feature, but iACLs are quite doable even in its absence.

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken