[c-nsp] Older gear and IPv6

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 24 11:05:57 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:36:54AM -0400, Charles Mills wrote:
> What about older layer 2 gear?  Are there any issues there or is a
> packet just a packet regardless of the address format?  I can't think
> of anything to worry about here unless there are MTU issues.

There's a small caveat: IPv6 uses much more multicast than IPv4 - so
there *might* be problems with switches that treat multicast "specially"
(we had problems with old Extreme Summit24i eating IPv4 EIGRP packets,
because "multicast must be treated special!!").

I'm not acutely aware of anything halfway recent that does this, though.

Besides that - well, no management via IPv6, of course, but this is
something we consider not crucial for the next few years.

> Are any hardware vendors making IPv6 capable gear that does hardware
> switching or are we processed switched for the time being?

For Layer3, all the recent gear should treat it the same as v4 - that
is, either both is hardware switched, or both is software ("Cisco 7200").

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de