[c-nsp] PFR Question

jack daniels jckdaniels12 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:12:02 EDT 2010

Hi Network champs,

I'm stuck in understanding of PFR . Docs say it converges in 3 sec ( for
realtime traffic VOICE )...

I understand you can send traffic out secondry link but what about traffic
which has to come back from remote end ( for which SP has not converged).

But if you have --

PE3--------CE3
 X.X.X.X---------|                 --------------------MPLS
DOMAIN-------------------
                     |  CE2--------PE2
PE4--------CE4

Now my primary link is CE1-PE1 and secondary is CE2-PE2
If my CE1-PE1 goes down i route traffic via CE2-PE2<<<<<<I understand this
ok...

BUT MY QUESTION IS -

PE3 and PE4 ( for this VRF) still has NOW converged the BGP and still for it
next hop for X.X.X.X is PE1. So how fwd can happen in 3 sec untill Service
providers all routers dont converge and understand that CE1-PE1 link is
down.

Regards