[c-nsp] Unified IOS (15.x) and feature based licensing model

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 24 17:46:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 04:38:23PM -0700, Eric Cables wrote:
> Ah very interesting.  Does this mean that the 12.x train will cease, and new
> development will be isolated to 15.x, or will Cisco continue to develop both
> trains in parallel?

Maybe.  Given IOS history, imagine the most inconvenient variant, and
then give them credit for extra creativity.

What I'm quite sceptical about in IOS 15 is the license activation stuff.
This has become a major pain in desktop software, and we do our best to
just find alternatives to products requiring convoluted activation
procedures ("change your IP address?  oh, sorry, software X needs
re-licensing, and this cannot be done on weekends!").

We'll see how it works out with IOS in practice.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de