[c-nsp] switches for mpls

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Thu Mar 25 10:21:49 EDT 2010

I want something that can do line rate gig, multiple streams, with
reasonable buffers, multicast, MPLS in hardware, and netflow, with some
number of optical ports (sfp or gbic, whatever). This is for a
communications nexus - co-lo site tying together a bunch of gig WAN
links, again the backup route, but I can live without NAT for this one.
MPLS is not something I'm doing now but I think I need it by EOY and I
don't want to not have the capability. Netflow I will get to someday
when I have more manpower.

3560s seem out due to the buffering issues - I'm guessing that even in
the X series it still sucks - has anyone had any practical experience
with the Xs yet?

I can get a 4900M but by the time I pay for that, I'm not far off a 6500
720-3B with a 6724 in dollars, and I get the whole panopoly of 6500
capabilities. A 4948 doesn't have enough optical to be safe. 4500
chassis, I dislike on principle (limited space anyway) and doesn't buy
much over a 4900M anyway.

Am I missing anything?