[c-nsp] Problem with Microsoft NLB on Server 2008 running in Multicast mode

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Mar 25 15:01:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 10:38 -0700, Bracey, John wrote:
> Have any of you run into this issue?  If so, were you able to help out
> from the Cisco side?

I'm not sure it's the same problem, but we've had to include a static
ARP entry for the NLB cluster on the default gateway, like this:

C6k(config)# arp vrf X 10.0.0.1 03bf.0abc.def0 ARPA

This was about the router not accepting an ARP reply from a multicast
address though. You might already have been through that part.

If the problem is that the gateway won't answer ARP requests originating
from a multicast address the only sensible solution would be a static
ARP entry on the host IMHO.

And for the record: Using a multicast MAC address this way is stupid and
against the specifications. Please refer the vendor of the software to
IEEE 802.3-2008 part 1, section 3.2.3:

> 3.2.3 Address fields

[...]

--