[c-nsp] Problem with Microsoft NLB on Server 2008 running in Multicast mode

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Mar 25 17:52:07 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 22:33 +0100, Asbjorn Hojmark - Lists wrote:
> I know I've seen that once and I think the problem was described in
> white paper, but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe it's fixed in
> newer code.

Ah, found it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a07203.shtml
(Login required for some reason.)

"However, since the incoming packets have a unicast destination IP
address and multicast destination MAC the Cisco device ignores this
entry and process-switches each cluster-bound packets."

It's from February 2009 but doesn't mention software versions.

Together with the static ARP it tends to make the whole system (cluster
+ network) more fragile IMO. Too much manual configuration, too many
normally independent parts of the solution that have to match. If the
server people one day decided to use another MAC address for some reason
and forgot to tell us, the system would break.

--
Peter