[c-nsp] Need input for router purchas

Chris Wopat me at falz.net
Wed Mar 31 10:03:18 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:13 AM,  <cisco-nsp-request at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> Thank you all for the input on router selection.
>
> Even though the power supplies are on the rear of the 7200 it seems it is on
> the allowed equipment listing for the carrier we are going to be co-locating
> with.
>
> It turns out that the OC-12 requirement was changed to OC-3.  This is making
> us lean towards 7200's (we have 7200 spares already from left over dial
> shelves).   Can anyone tell me what is the performance (Mb/s, PPS) I would
> expect to get out of a NPE-G1 and also can it handle full internet routing
> table (with max memory)?   Also what is the most stable/trusted ver of IOS
> for 7200 with NPE-G1 (BGP internet router... no MPLS).
>
> Thanks again for all your input!

NPE-G1 can do full routes and maxes at 1GB ram (even NPE-400 can do
full routes w/ 512mb). For ballpark performance numbers see:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

We currently run 12.2SB on our 7200s but you could do 12.4 mainline as well.

--Chris