[c-nsp] Multicast clarification

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Fri May 7 10:08:56 EDT 2010

Martin,

Without this functionality the routers would not be able to detect new
sources as the switch would not replicate the stream, and we would never
know about this source.

If both routers are talking PIM between them then only one of the them
would be the DR (Designated Router), and only this router would be
forwarding packets received on this LAN domain.
Take a look here (search for designated router):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/configuration/guide/imc_basi
c_cfg_ps10591_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

Arie