[c-nsp] Obtaining MD signature

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri May 7 15:00:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 10:45:24AM -0700, Rick Kunkel wrote:
> The SOLE copy I've got of s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF4.bin
> resides on a TFTP server used for backup purposes.  This TFTP server

There's two ways here.

a) you could upload the software on a router, and ask the router to
   run the MD5 check and tell you about the embedded MD5 in the image:

   cisco# verify s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH7.bin
   Embedded Hash   MD5 : D2BB0668310392BAC803BE5A0BCD0C6A
   Computed Hash   MD5 : D2BB0668310392BAC803BE5A0BCD0C6A
   CCO Hash        MD5 : 2B5960A2AA63E65FCF2BF0B21321D6E2

b) since there are security issues in SXF4 that warrant a free upgrade
   to the latest and bugfixed SXF version, contact cisco TAC, point
   them to the latest security advisories and have them send you a
   known-good SXF17a image.

   One candidate would be this one:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20100324-ldp.shtml

(And yes, there are vendors that are far less painful when it comes
to firmware downloads and upgrades - it's not like they give you the
hardware for free and need to ensure their margins with the high-quality
software *cough*...  yes, of course bean counters will tell you that it's
important to keep a close tab on people stealing IOS software, but what
they *don't* tell you is the loss due to annoyed customers...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de