[c-nsp] any information why the switch port can't be force

Billy Guthrie bg at billyguthrie.com
Fri May 7 20:34:50 EDT 2010

Derick,

You have not provided much information; It would be beautiful if you could
provide the make, model, config, and IOS version of both devices.

Things to note:

1. If auto-negotiation is disabled (manually forcing the link to
10/100/1000 full, Auto-MDI/MDIX cannot work because
there is no signal transmission at initialization to sample the cabling
with.

2. Gigabit it requires the use of all four pairs, unlike older Ethernet.
The pairing in gigabit cabling must be
1-2, 3-6, 4-5, 7-8; the 4-5 and 7-8 pairs aren’t used in 10/100
Ethernet; On some equipment, when only using 2 pairs, then
negotiation will take place on two pairs only, so the devices
successfully choose 'gigabit' as the highest common denominator,
but the link never comes up.

3. Speed mismatch (Or some other form of misconfiguration).

4. Hardware issue (Port, connector, cable, etc.).

5. Everything could be fine and just related a bug

6. That is all I can think of right now (issues I have seen in the past).

Good Luck,

Billy