[c-nsp] Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding - Loose Mode

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed May 12 06:21:58 EDT 2010

On 05/12/2010 10:55 AM, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr wrote:

> We have a bunch 6509s acting as core routers and a bunch of 7204VXRs
> (NPE-400 / NPE-G1) acting as LNS border routers.
>
> Problem Is : I am concerned about performance issues. Is uRPF a big consumer
> of CPU / Memory ?

On 6500, I believe the older sup2 has half the routing table capacity
with uRPF enabled, but it's otherwise done in hardware.

6500/sup720 uRPF is "free". There's no CPU/memory load.

I don't know about the other platforms but I would be surprised if uRPF
significantly affects their forwarding performance.