[c-nsp] circuit degradation/error simulator

Joel M Snyder Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM
Wed May 12 12:33:33 EDT 2010

 >For some testing I'm looking for a piece of software which is capable
 >of inserting various degradation and/or errors into a traffic stream.

There are a number of open source tools (Dummynet, Wanem) with fairly
basic capabilities.  You can also program your typical router for pure
shunning; I have a Mikrotik attached to a rig on my desktop I'm using to
simply choke a link down to 512K at this very moment.  These are good
enough for a typical "what happens when this happens" kind of testing.
Sometimes you need more interesting test environments, and then we use
Shunra Virtual Enterprise (formerly Shunra Cloud,
http://www.shunra.com/) and I've also used (but don't own) Linktropy
(Apposite Technologies, http://www.apposite-tech.com/)

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494