[c-nsp] channelized OC-12 for aggregation

Stephen Cobb scobb at telecoast.com
Thu May 13 13:30:40 EDT 2010

Geoff-

You've got some other [older] options - might as well throw these out
there...still supported by recent IOS:

6500/7600 OSM-1CHOC12/T1-SI (stopped shipping less than a couple years ago,
IIRC)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2831/products_data_sheet09186a008015cfe6.html

12000 CHOC12/DS1-IR-SC
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps167/product_data_sheet0900aecd80416929.html

I've worked with people trying to do something similar (consolidating a ton
of 7200s with ch-t3 cards into ch-oc12s) and, unlike at that point, both the
7600 and GSR blades are more readily available in the used market. Both have
a list price of $125k, so things get way too pricey if buying them new.
GSR/12000s are probably going to be the best bang-for-your buck if you're
comfortable with used stuff (assuming you don't need a bunch of LAN ports),
especially because it sounds like you don't need the Quantumflow ASR guts,
etc.

Hit me off-list if you want.
sc

--