[c-nsp] BGP load balancing (outbound)

amps djamps at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:52:10 EDT 2010

Scenario:  6509-3BXL receiving 2 full tables.

Problem:  Outbound traffic imbalance

Feed 1 (AS1 in this example):  Direct to tier-1 provider
Feed 2 (AS2 in this example):  Colo/house 'mix' of about 5 providers

Outbound traffic pretty much all goes out feed 1.  BGP tables from each
provider are nearly identical, so the router is either choosing the lowest
router-id, or shortest BGP path..even if I prepend the inbound on feed 1 I'm
still seeing most/all traffic leave feed 1... any advice on getting traffic
to balance without static route-maps?  I'm perfectly happy if odd/even AS's
were pref'd to one or the other...anything BGP based.  Regex on the inbound
route-maps?  Example of something that might work?

Thanks in advance...

##Current config:

router bgp xxxxx
 no synchronization
 bgp log-neighbor-changes
 bgp update-delay 90
 redistribute static route-map STATIC-TO-BGP
 neighbor x.x.x.1 remote-as 1
 neighbor x.x.x.1 soft-reconfiguration inbound
 neighbor x.x.x.1 prefix-list ADVERTISE out
 neighbor x.x.x.1 route-map TRANSIT-1-IN in
 neighbor x.x.x.1 route-map TRANSIT-1-OUT out
 neighbor x.x.x.2 remote-as 2
 neighbor x.x.x.2 soft-reconfiguration inbound
 neighbor x.x.x.2 prefix-list ADVERTISE out
 neighbor x.x.x.2 route-map TRANSIT-2-IN in
 neighbor x.x.x.2 route-map TRANSIT-2-OUT out
 no auto-summary

route-map TRANSIT-1-IN permit 10
  set as-path prepend last-as 1
!