[c-nsp] BGP load balancing (outbound)

Andrew Tolstykh andrew at atfam.com
Mon May 17 10:57:22 EDT 2010

Based on your configuration (Multi-homed to two ISPs through a single router) you can only do load sharing (the following configuration guide uses weight to accomplish this).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml

In this scenario, load balancing is not an option in a multihomed environment, so you can only do load sharing. You cannot do load balancing because BGP selects only a single best path to a destination among the BGP routes that are learned from the different ASs. The idea is to set a better metric for the routes in the range 1.0.0.0 to 128.0.0.0 that are learned from ISP(A) and a better metric for the rest of the routes that are learned from ISP(B).

HTH,
Andrew