[c-nsp] MPLS LDP question

Frederic LOUI frederic.loui at renater.fr
Tue May 18 09:04:54 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I have a question regarding LDP and FEC.
When activating MPLS LDP, by default all FEC(s) present in the routing
table have a label bindings ...

To my understanding, only (BGP) Loopbacks are  involved when deploying
MPLS services such as MPLS VPN / PSEUDOWIRES / TRAFFIC ENG etc...
Therefore, design wise, it makes sense to restrict LDP to "service
loopback".

So the question is, according to your experience :
1) Is it worth to spend some time restricting LDP only to service
Loopback ?
    => In terms of resources allocation
    => Faster convergence
    => Other consideration ?
2) Is there any trade off in a scenario where only loopbacks have LDP
label bindings ?

Anyway, thanks all in advance for your feedback.
Very best regards / Frederic