[c-nsp] Ethernet Interfaces Speed and Duplex - Force or Auto

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri May 21 13:14:52 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:07:36PM -0500, Jeff Wojciechowski wrote:
> I have done most of my learning this century so I am still somewhat
> green - hence my post - and I have learned much by picking the
> brains of vetrans.

I wasn't trying to pick on you - sorry if it came across that way.

It's more a matter of personal annoyance at network admins that refuse
to acknowledge that devices change and problems evolve, and insist that
"the rules that we have learned last century are cast in stone and must
be followed to the end".  The auto-neg/no auto-neg discussion is very
prototypical for that :-)

(Nothing bad in "learning from experience and designing rules/BCPs from
there", but there must be room for adjustment and new experience every
few years...)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de