[c-nsp] Tracking config changes

Bill Blackford BBlackford at nwresd.k12.or.us
Mon May 24 12:38:02 EDT 2010

Rancid

http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

-b

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 9:34 AM
To: 'Cisco-nsp'
Subject: [c-nsp] Tracking config changes

Hi Gang,

    In my smallish network I am guilty sometimes of using cli to make
cisco switch and router config changes, and sometimes I have been known
to forget to 'wr mem' when I'm sure it's what I want. The reasons for
this vary, but I want to be better than this disaster waiting for a
power outage or other event to force a reset, losing something that
could potentially be important that I may forget about later. I know
there are approaches to this in larger envionments using config version
control systems and such, but I think I want something simpler to at
least notify me when/if I have a 'running config' that has been modified
from the 'startup config' and not committed to nvram.

    One approach I might think of would be to poll the devices on my
normal snmp schedule and include a check for the last date of
configuration change. I could easilly throw an alert if it's been more
than an hour since the last config change/write to memory, but I don't
know which variables I would poll for that. A secondary idea might also
be to download the configs and commit them to cvs anytime a change is
detected, but some here might think this is backwards and that configs
should only be uploaded? What do you other service provider folks do?

Mike-