[c-nsp] Tracking config changes

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at princeton.edu
Mon May 24 13:24:30 EDT 2010

We heavily comment our configs and back them up in RCS file  (mostly 6500s).   There are also commands that are more clearly understood when entered as a multiple single CLIs, but then show up in config as a summarized single entry.  There is also the ACL entries which get optimized and are not in the order they were entered.

Doesn't RANCID only compare the current running to a saved running config.    So in our case we still have to keep a commented file history around.

Not sure what the best solution is, and in our case mistakes can be made.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network & Communications Systems
Princeton University