[c-nsp] Tracking config changes

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon May 24 14:40:04 EDT 2010

Hi,

> We heavily comment our configs and back them up in RCS file  (mostly 6500s).   There are also commands that are more clearly understood when entered as a multiple single CLIs, but then show up in config as a summarized single entry.  There is also the ACL entries which get optimized and are not in the order they were entered.
>
> Doesn't RANCID only compare the current running to a saved running config.    So in our case we still have to keep a commented file history around.

RANCID etc for storing running-config, startup-config etc.  - or home-made
tools to do the same...  only trouble is, RANCID will only poll devices on intervals..
so several things can happen within that time...so use eg TACACS+ command logging
to log actual activities. these logs can either be put into DB or you can trigger
a RANCID collect of a device when certain commands are run (and caught via TACACS+)

depends on how convoluted/extensive you want everything to be

even better when a command in IOS ends up providing a very much bigger config
(autoqos voip anyone? ;-) )

alan