[c-nsp] Apple Mac + iPhone = strange network loop?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue May 25 12:21:40 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 12:15 -0400, Alex Moya wrote:
> Peter I do not believe that the mac is causing this issue unless there
> is some software running on the MAC that is telling it to create a
> HSRP session. I would look at that first.

When we first saw it, we thought the Mac was deliberately trying
something nasty, but when we talked to the user (and his IT guy) no-one
could find anything "wrong" with the Mac. The only thing that stood out
was the "tethering".

It doesn't seem to be HSRP-specific, since it simply replaces the IP
address in the IPv4 header and nothing else. This might be a general
multicast thing, I will try to test that.

(Of course we don't have any Macs to test with, so we'll have to test on
the live network. :-))

--
Peter