[c-nsp] 12.4(15)T12 -> 15.0M ATM ADSL PPPoE pre-clone removed, idle statistics no longer tracker, performance increases, and other undocumented improvements?

P C pc50000 at gmail.com
Tue May 25 18:34:27 EDT 2010

I just updated my 7201 from 12.4(15)T12 to 15.0M to resolve an issue with
RIP.  During the process, I've noticed a few changes:

1) (config)#virtual-template 2 pre-clone 500
% Command ignored (deprecated post 12.2S)
Virtual-template pre-clone seems to be removed.  It mentions version 12.2S,
which doesn't seem relevant between 12.4T->15.0, but in either case it
doesn't seem necessary.

I reviewed the DSL broadband deployment guide, and indeed in 12.4T when I
made the config it recommended using it.  This section seems to be removed
in the 15.0 version of the guide (although several sample configs within
which have it remain).

I found nothing in the release notes for 15.0 regarding this functionality
change.

Does anyone know if this was removed, why, and the impact of such?

2) PPPoE performance on an ATM DS3 seems greatly improved, at least for
session establishment.  I wasn't expecting this, but re-establishing 1,000
sessions went from a 45 second affair to a 15 second one.  Were there some
major change here?

3) PPPoE idle session statistics (show user) no longer are tracked.

4) Outbound flash RIP updates based on the loss of a connected network
(metric 16 updates) targetted by a network statement get advertised to rip
neighbors, ignoring a distribute list telling the router not to send updated
about anything but a default route.

I suspect #3 is a new bug (but better than the one I had before as metric 16
updates are essentially ignored) so I'll deal with it for now.

Perhaps does anyone have any information regarding the significant PPPoE
changes that occured and what they were -- or has anyone else experienced
similar behavior with 15.0 as the issues shown above?  I wish it was in the
release notes, but it isn't.

Thanks!