[c-nsp] BGP ipv6 peers with ipv4 router-ids

Steve Bertrand steve at ipv6canada.com
Wed May 26 21:43:17 EDT 2010

On 2010.05.26 15:50, Christian MacNevin wrote:
> Hi
> Is it generally done to exchange ipv6 info with bgp peers defined only by ipv4 router ids?
>
> Ie:
> Router bgp 65001
> Neighbor 1.2.3.4 remote-as 65001
> !
> Address-family ipv6
> Neighbor 1.2.3.4 activate

If I understand your question correctly, you will likely want to review
the following recent NANOG thread:

http://seclists.org/nanog/2010/May/475

Personally, in some places, I have v4 and v6 NLRI coming over v4, and in
others, v6. In other places, I only allow v6 over v6 and v4 over v4.

My thinking is, is that so long as you have adequate documentation to
quickly facilitate lookups for troubleshooting, do what makes sense to you.

Otherwise, use v4 for v4, and v6 for v6.

fwiw, router-id is mostly irrelevant here if I understand what you are
asking correctly.

Ignore the fact that the router-id seems the same as an IPv4 address.
Use it only as influence on decisions; know that it is irrelevant when
mating with a neighbour if accepting ip6 NLRI.

For what you want to do, the router-id is a simple integer ;)

Steve